It may seem silly when I tell you that there's a right and wrong way to go about burning a candle, but it's true.
Check out these candle care tips that will ensure your candle burns properly with minimized smoke & soot.
Before You Burn
- Make sure your candle is placed in an area free from drafts and away from any objects that could potentially catch fire.
- Keep out of reach from children and pets.
- Make sure to trim your wick to about 1/4" before each burn. Use a wick trimmer for best results.
- Make sure the surface of your candle is free from any debris.
Burn Baby Burn
- On a candle's first burn, let the wax melt all the way to the edges of the candle. This typically takes 2-3 hours.
- Burn sessions should typically last about 3-4 hours. Leaving a candle burning for too long can potentially cause overheating and the container could break.
- Do not move a candle while it is burning.
- Do not leave a lit candle unattended.
Extinguishing the Flame
- When extinguishing your candle, using a snuffer not only feels fancy, but it minimizes smoke & soot in the air and leaves you with a lingering scent of your candle's fragrance instead of the smell of smoke.
- Make sure to let your candle cool completely between burning sessions.
- When there is only about 1/4" of wax left, discontinue use.
- For tips on how to reuse your Hope Street Candle Co. containers, see our previous post.
And there you have it! Now that you're a candle burning expert, why not treat yourself to some new candles?